The Charlotte County Courthouse, built in 1840, was declared a National Historic Site in 1983. Built in the Greek Revival style, this is considered to be one of the finest examples of 19th century architecture in Canada. It is located right next to the Old Gaol, the site of the Archives. Tours of the historic Charlotte County Courthouse are conducted during the summer months. The Charlotte County Archives began in 1975 when a group of volunteers known as "Friends of the Charlotte County Historical Society" was formed to preserve and organize historical documents relating to Charlotte County. In 1982 a permanent home in the old Charlotte County Gaol was provided by the Province of New Brunswick, Canada.
Canada's Premier Historic Seaside Resort